Confirmed in:

Ubuntu 12.04.2 fresh install
Unity 2d
Nautilus 3.4.2

  Nautilus window closes when unmounting currently explored filesystem

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  What happens:
  In Nautilus, when exploring a mountable filesystem of a device (having it
open in the active window/tab), unmounting this device by the unmount icon on
the side panel causes whole window to close, having immediately followed
unmounting. If the currently explored folder isn't the one on the filesystem
that we unmount, then nothing happens to Nautilus window.

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Mount a filesystem.
  2. Open Nautilus and explore the content of said filesystem.
  3. Unmount said filesystem, for example using the unmount icon on the side
panel.
  4. In the current state of things, Nautilus window will close immediately due
to unmount.

  What should happen:
  After unmounting an actively explored filesystem, the window/tab should
change its focus to a default element, such as computer:/// - like it was
before, or perhaps /media, /home?

  Alternatively:
  Because some consider the desired behaviour as a bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/23293), there should
be a possibility to change this behaviour to the way the end user wants it to
be - either closing the Nautilus window/tab or changing address to a default
element.

  It is similar to how Windows 7 explorer.exe works. I personally find
  this annoying - I have close to twenty partitions total and I like to
  unmount those on which work I have currently finished without fear of
  closing the program itself.

  It is only a matter of the last few days/weeks that I experienced this
  behaviour. Some time ago it used to work as described in "What should
  happen" section.

  Release:      11.10

  nautilus:
    Installed: 1:3.2.1-0ubuntu2