> There won't ever be user-defined priorities in NM.

Old comment, no rationale. Time for a change ?

Instead of full-blown network prioritization which would involve a gui
to sort connections and careful thinking to ensure that the connection
selection stays predictable, would it be enough to add a boolean
"preferred" field ?

In the original example, "home" and "work" would be marked as preferred,
while "beeline-wifi-free" would not.

A quick glance at the NetworkManager source code makes me think that it
shouldn't be too hard to add a "preferred" attribute to network
connections, and to use it in the connection_sort function (nm-
settings.c). It would be shown as a checkbox in nm-applet.

If more granularity is required, a numeric "priority" attribute could be
used instead. If it seems to confusing to expose a numeric connection
priority value to the users, it could still be shown as a "preferred"
checkbox in nm-applet, leaving it to power users to edit the numeric
value manually in the configuration file if required.

  Please provide a mechanism whereby Wi-Fi networks can be prioritized

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  I've got few wifi network profiles. NM connects to 1st available
  network in alphabetical order. But at my home NM connects to slow and
  unstable free network and I want to connect to my own wifi router. I
  suggest to add some priorities to different networks to set the order
  which network to connect to.