Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. The issue you are reporting is an upstream one and it
would be nice if somebody having it could send the bug to the developers
of the software by following the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME. If you have done so, please
tell us the number of the upstream bug (or the link), so we can add a
bugwatch that will inform us about its status. Thanks in advance.

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  No obvious way to add network printer with gnome-control-center
  printers applet

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  With a fresh install of 12.10 (after successfully using 12.04 on
  another partition of the same machine) I found I could not add my
  network printer (on a synology ds211j).  I went to System
  Settings>Printers and while the correct printer had been identified,
  it was identified as a local printer.  In trying to add another (click
  +), there was no option to add a network printer.  The search panel
  was not any obvious use: what 'address' is needed?  I tried the nas
  server name, to which the printer is attached, but nothing came up.
  (see attached screen-grab: the printer was attached and on...)

  In the end I had to use the system-config-printer applet and
  successfully added the network printer, which showed up in the control
  centre applet afterwards but the location is  '--'.  The system-
  config-printer applet was simple and straightforward to use, mainly
  because it identified the network printer immediately.

  If this is not technically a bug it presents a serious gap between
  what the control centre application might reasonably be expected to do
  and what it is able to do in a straight forward way.

  Ubuntu 12.10
  gnome-control-center 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu8~ubuntu12.10.1