Is this still an issue for you with a newer and supported Ubuntu
version, because Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is EOL on the desktop.

** Changed in: gksu (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gksu in Ubuntu.

  Hourglass gets turned on across entire desktop

Status in “gksu” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: update-manager

  I'm not sure whether the problem is with update-manager or synaptic,
  but I never use the latter on its own, preferring apt-get. I'm using
  Hardy Heron.

  When the hourglass gets turned on, after the password prompt, to
  download updates, it is displayed over the entire desktop, not just
  over the update-manager and synaptic windows. But if I then move the
  cursor in and out of their windows it starts behaving properly.