Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  syndaemon lies about its functionality, -R doesn't use XRecord

Status in “xserver-xorg-input-synaptics” package in Ubuntu:

  With a friend we checked the processor wakeups of my laptop with
  powertop. We spotted syndaemon. Investigating it, I found out that it
  polls, although an option was set to block and wait using some XRecord
  extension of X11. The option -R is also set in the current
  configuration of syndaemon in 12.10. Also the man page doesn't tell
  one about the deactivated -R option. I compiled it myself, with the
  option compiled in (need to install libxtst-dev) and it blocked and
  waited like expected. When I read about the lengthy bugreports of
  ancient times about polling in syndaemon.

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-
  synaptics/+bug/906987

  As I understand them, X11 crashes randomly when XRecord is used. And
  the chosen solution was to deactivate the usage of XRecord in
  syndaemon.

  I am not satisfied with the situation.

  * man page shouldn't list -R if it is not compiled in; it was misleading to me
  * syndaemon shouldnt be started with -R, when it has no affect; it was
misleading to me
  * there should be a power measurement documented somewhere which defends
polling against power drainage; the decision is weird on battery powered devices
  * XRecord should be deactivated in X11; who guarantees that another app than
syndaemon comes by using XRecord?
  * XRecord should be fixed in X11 (the bug description and tried fixes arent
exhaustive by far!)