Still this bug appears in Raring(13.04) with pidgin ver. 2.10.7 and
pidgin-libnotify ver. 0.14-9ubuntu1
This is really annoying, is there any update?

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  pidgin doesn't notify at start of conversation (libnotify)

Status in “pidgin” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “pidgin-libnotify” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “pidgin” source package in Jaunty:
  Invalid
Status in “pidgin-libnotify” source package in Jaunty:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: pidgin

  I'm running the Jaunty beta, and I cannot get the libnotify plugin to
  show a notification when a new conversation has started.

  Once the conversation is underway, I get the notifications coming up,
  but they don't show for the first new message in a conversation. In
  that case, I just get a window popping up showing the conversation
  (when I would really prefer the notification without a new window).

  The libnotify popup (version 0.14) configuration window has 'New
  Messages', 'Ignore events from blocked users', and 'Buddy signs on'
  ticked, but the rest are unticked.

  The new jaunty notification popups are working for showing when a
  buddy signs on (as well as wifi sign-on/volume changes/etc) so it is
  not the notification that is broken.

  I have confirmed that this happens for me on a live CD installation,
  so it doesn't appear to be left-over crud from before the beta
  upgrade. However, I never did manage to get the libnotify plugin to
  work properly in previous versions either, but I got motivated due to
  the new jaunty notification system.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04