** Tags added: edgers

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Resolution continually switches with dual monitors + screen flickering

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu:

  I've had this bug since Ubuntu 12.04 and have battled with it for 8+
  months.

  Originally, switching from 11.10 to 12.04, I experienced bad screen
  flickering (3-45 seconds between flickers) and could not find the
  issue. I was also not able to run multiple monitors because when I
  plugged in the HDMI cable, the resolution between screens would
  continually change (every ~2 seconds) and would not settle on a
  configuration. I finally was able to fix the issue by switching kernel
  versions to the 3.4 kernel (back when I had 12.04). When I upgraded to
  12.10 (upgrading the kernel again to the default shipped with 12.10),
  I had the same issue and reinstalled the 3.4 kernel and fixed the
  issue.

  Now I'm back to the same issue after upgrading to 13.04. I have
  screen/window flickering at random intervals and I cannot run an
  external monitor (although, I can get about 10 minutes out of it
  before it resets configurations for me). I can't reinstall the 3.4
  kernel as there is no version for ringtail.

  Specs:
  Release:        13.04
  Memory: 5.7 GiB
  Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4
  Graphics: Intel® Sandybridge Mobile (with discrete AMD graphics) (open source
drivers xorg-edgers)
  OS type: 64-bit

  lspci dump for discrete graphics card:
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
Whistler [Radeon HD 6600M/6700M/7600M Series] (rev ff)