I also have this issue. Oleksandr's workaround also helps, but if I launch
online-accounts-preferences from terminal, the error is displayed even if panel
opens.
When this happens, I noticed that my icq plugin does not allow me to modify my
account, the whole page is greyed out and the only thing I can do is remove the
account. if I remove and re-add the account, I am still unable to enter account
information. Not sure if it is related or a completely separate bug.

** Attachment added: "icq fails to display account info"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center-signon/+bug/1174936/+attachment/3665460/+files/ubuntu-13.04-online-accounts-icq.png

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  online-accounts-preferences crashes immediately when opened

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-control-center-signon” package in Ubuntu:

  `online-accounts-preferences` crashes immediately when opened. It
  crashes when you launch it by first opening "System Settings" via the
  launcher then choosing "Online Accounts" as well as when you open it
  directly by choosing "Online Accounts" from the launcher. It also
  crashes immediately when opened by running the `online-accounts-
  preferences` command on the command line.

  Here's the output it gives:

  % online-accounts-preferences
  credentials-cc-panel-Message:
cc-credentials-account-applications-model.vala:156: No valid plugin found for
application 'shotwell' with account '1'
  credentials-cc-panel-Message:
cc-credentials-account-applications-model.vala:156: No valid plugin found for
application 'unity-scope-gdrive' with account '1'
  credentials-cc-panel-Message:
cc-credentials-account-applications-model.vala:156: No valid plugin found for
application 'unity-lens-photos' with account '1'
  **
  ERROR:empathy-user-info.c:252:fill_contact_info_grid: assertion failed: (spec
!= NULL)
  Aborted

  Package: gnome-control-center-signon 0.1.6bzr13.04.05-0ubuntu1