I'm glad the report was helpful :)

For people looking for workarounds. If you lose Unity (the panel does
not come up after logging in, and most key combinations don't work),
what I have found is that sometimes starting a session while in low
graphics mode will disable the Unity plugin. Invoking ccsm (by using the
Terminal, which comes up with Alt+Ctrl+T), enabling Unity (it does not
have a checkbox in the listed plugins, but you can click on it, then
enable it by clicking the checkbox in the left column) and resolving
conflicts seems to work.

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  REGRESSION: "failed to allocate video resources" with latest fglrx

Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:

  Release: Ubuntu 13.04
  Version: 2:2.21.6-0ubuntu4

  Obtained result: X fails to start with the provided xserver-xorg-
  video-intel package when using custom built fglrx packages, which is a
  regression from previous versions.

  Expected result: X starts correctly with available 3D acceleration.

  I have a Radeon HD 7670M muxless hybrid graphic card. After upgrading to
Raring, X fell back to low-graphics mode (which was half-expected) and the
fglrx versions offered in the official Ubuntu repositories didn't work either
(resulting in a X segfault).

  After some testing, I created a package of the latest fglrx drivers as
  per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI ,
  resulting in version 2:12.104. This also resulted on a X failure,
  although not with a segfault, but with the following error (log
  attached):

  [    55.455] (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to allocate caches, disabling RENDER
acceleration
  [    55.459] (EE) fglrx(0): [intel] Failed to allocate video resources for
front buffer 1366x768 at depth 24

  Downgrading the xserver-xorg-video-intel package to the Quantal
  2:2.20.2-1ubuntu1 version fixes the problem. I have not tried to
  pinpoint the exact version where the regression occurs; I chose 2.20.2
  because it was suggested elsewhere and because 2.20.3 is known to be
  problematic with fglrx (as per #1068404 ).

  This has also been reported in Gentoo:
  http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-949372-start-0.html

  Even though the bug involves fglrx, I am reporting it because it's
  xserver-xorg-video-intel which seems to blame and I can confirm that
  earlier versions of the package fix the issue. This same video card
  also worked well in Quantal, although it did need the packages from
  andrikos' PPA to behave.

  From an usability standpoint, it's also important to note that, as I
  mentioned before, the Ubuntu-provided fglrx (both regular and
  -updates) plus the 2:2.21.6-0ubuntu4 version of the intel server
  resulted in a X segfault for me. The fglrx versions in Andrikos' PPA
  also segfaulted. I think that bug is unrelated to this one. However, I
  can check whether the Ubuntu-provided fglrx packages work with this
  server version, and try to reproduce the other bug and report it
  separately if you wish (I was dumb enough not to save the log).