   nautilus hangs copying large directories from a samba share

  File transfers from remote Windows shares stall indefinitely without
  crashing

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu 12.10 and now 13.04, I find that trying to copy a folder of
  files either to or from a remote Windows shared folder stalls
  indefinitely. This case that I'm reporting involves transferring files
  shared from a Samba file server to a local hard disk. It has stalled
  on file 84 of 206. When this happens, the file transfer window will
  remain open, saying 330.9 MB of 758.8 MB until I feel like closing it
  (it never fails or times out). I can continue to browse through
  folders on that remote server in Nautilus or even open files stored on
  the remote server, but that transfer will never resume.

  If I then try to unmount that server, I get the message "Volume is
  busy: One or more applications are keeping the volume busy." It
  indicates that "File Operations: nautilus -n" is what is still in use
  (But nothing is transferring.) If I tell it to "Unmount anyway" I get
  the message "Unable to unmount torrents on hda: Timeout was reached"
  (despite the fact that I was still able to communicate with that
  server to browse and open files). The file transfer window is still
  open and stalled.

  At this point, if I try to cancel the file transfer by hitting the red
  X, the red X grays out, but the file transfer doesn't stop or close or
  seem to care at all. If I repeat trying to dismount that share, it
  will eventually disconnect, but then when I try to reconnect to that
  share, I get "Could not display "": The file is of an unknown type."
  with the option to "Select application" or "OK". Other Samba shares on
  that server are still accessible.

  If I then run a command like "killall nautilus" I get an apport notice
  that an error occured in givfs-smb. If I reopen nautilus, I find that
  I am still connected to that share I was trying to transfer from and
  that I tried so hard to disconnect from. I am then able to restart my
  file transfer, which completes without incident. When this had
  happened in the past, I found that if I did not deliberatly overwrite
  all the files from the previous transfer, there would be one file that
  would be named in the new directory but would have 0 bytes of data (I
  assume this is the file during which the transfer stalled).

  Package: nautilus 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
  Date: Sat May  4 13:47:58 2013
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'927x1028+993+24'"
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'maximized' b'true'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>