Public bug reported:

After upgrading to Raring, my X stutters a lot whenever the eDP-1 output
is disabled (for example with xrandr). In this state, the kernel log is
also filled with numerous messages regarding invalid EDID checksums. The
behavior was not seen with Quantal. The problem also partially goes away
with mainline kernel 3.9.

I would describe the stutters as about 10 ms freezes occurring roughly
every second. Meanwhile, dmesg sees a lot of "[drm:drm_edid_block_valid]
*ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 48" and a few "nouveau E[
I2C][0000:01:00.0] AUXCH(1): tx req timeout 0x01114000". Behavior is
restored to normal when eDP-1 is re-enabled.

The problem was not seen in Quantal. Installing the 3.9 mainline kernel
partially mitigates the problem, but brings other ones, such as a
kworker thread pegged at 100% CPU. This could be unrelated.

The drm_kms_helper.poll=0 boot parameter does not help with the standard
Raring kernel, but is in fact neccessary with 3.9.

The problem seems to be unrelated to whether or not there are multiple
monitors attached, for example on DP-1 and VGA-1. A single monitor on
either DP-1 or VGA-1 is enough to observe the stutter as soon as eDP-1
is disabled.

(Simply leaving eDP-1 enabled is not an option for me, as it has to be
disabled to use DP-1 and VGA-1 simultaneously on my laptop.)

Ubuntu version: 13.04
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau version: 1:1.0.7-0ubuntu1
Kernel version: 3.8.0-21.32
Graphics hardware: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M
[NVS 3100M] (rev a2)

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)

** Package changed: ubuntu => xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

[...]

- The problem seems to be unrelated to whether or not there are other
- monitors attached, for example on DP-1 and VGA-1.
+ The problem seems to be unrelated to whether or not there are multiple
+ monitors attached, for example on DP-1 and VGA-1. A single monitor on
+ either DP-1 or VGA-1 is enough to observe the stutter as soon as eDP-1
+ is disabled.

  (Simply leaving eDP-1 enabled is not an option for me, as it has to be
  disabled to use DP-1 and VGA-1 simultaneously on my laptop.)

  Ubuntu version: 13.04
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau version: 1:1.0.7-0ubuntu1
  Kernel version: 3.8.0-21.32
  Graphics hardware: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation
GT218M [NVS 3100M] (rev a2)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Turning off eDP-1 causes stutter

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu: