Just an update to my comment #19 (a week ago) - I haven't experienced
any of these freezes since I upgraded gtk2-engines-oxygen to version
1.3.3 with the patches mentioned in the Emacs bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/1142213. The
patches might not be relevant so it's possible that the latest upstream
version fixes the freezes.

I can provide amd64 package if there's interest.

  thunderbird and firefox freeze at random : must be killed and
  restarted

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Thunderbird freezes at random. I must kill it then reload it.
  Sometimes the freeze happens when sending a mail. I had no problem in 11.10.

  It happens several times a day. The only pattern that I can currently
  see is that the freeze happens frequently when thunderbird is using
  the network.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  $ dpkg-query -s thunderbird