Public bug reported:

Hello,

I'm currently using version 3.6.4 on Ubuntu Saucy (development version).

There is a regression comparing to previous releases, as said here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/telepathy-indicator/+bug/1098549
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/206547

The option "Display incoming events in the notification area" is no more
available, so I have no more way to "force" any incoming message to put
the chat window on the focus when Empathy is in the background !

99% of the time, Empathy contacts main window is in the background : I
start Empathy and then work with other programs in foreground (Firefox,
Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Gedit...).

My preference is to have the discussion window opening and/or coming to
the foreground at EACH time one of my connected contacts sends me a
message when I'm available - if I do not want to be disturbed, I go
offline, busy or invisible.

Function was recently implemented but seems to have disappeared:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=585914

Is it a choice of developers - to make the code cleaner or because of
move to Gnome 3 or because the notification area is no more present in
Gnome Shell or Unity or to suppress some options or customization (like
in Nautilus) - or is it temporary and will be fixed with a future
version of Empathy or Telepathy ?

Because now, I often miss some conversations... I had to go to Dconf
editor to activate the Ubuntu notifications (being informed with the
top-right bubble via libnotify and sound when a contact connects, goes
offline), but did not find any way to force chat window go to
foreground.

The only indication goes on the MeMenu (I miss it often) and to Unity
dock when no chat window is opened (only the contact ones), a number
appears to indicate how many messages are unread. But when the chat
window is opened and in the background, no more number, just a small and
short animation on the Unity dock...

So is there a way to have this back in Ubuntu (via Dconf or something
else) ? Empathy is well integrated in Gnome and Ubuntu, with online
contacts, Telepathy... and I want to keep using it, but I need this
configuration to be available (as an option) again.

I asked main Empathy developer, who answered me by mail : solution is to

Write a Telepathy script : a "telepathy Approver" which automatically
approves all new text-type channels.

To make the window visible at foreground each time we receive a message
(even if chat window is already opened but in background), it needs to
be also an "Observer" and that it calls PresentChannel() for all answers
we get.

I don't know how to do this and if it can be implemented in Ubuntu ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Xavier

** Affects: empathy (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1182189

Title:
  Regression in Empathy / Telepathy : force chat window to come in
  foreground when new message comes

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  Hello,

  I'm currently using version 3.6.4 on Ubuntu Saucy (development
  version).

  There is a regression comparing to previous releases, as said here:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/telepathy-indicator/+bug/1098549
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/206547

  The option "Display incoming events in the notification area" is no
  more available, so I have no more way to "force" any incoming message
  to put the chat window on the focus when Empathy is in the background
  !

  99% of the time, Empathy contacts main window is in the background : I
  start Empathy and then work with other programs in foreground
  (Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Gedit...).

  My preference is to have the discussion window opening and/or coming
  to the foreground at EACH time one of my connected contacts sends me a
  message when I'm available - if I do not want to be disturbed, I go
  offline, busy or invisible.

  Function was recently implemented but seems to have disappeared:
  https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=585914

  Is it a choice of developers - to make the code cleaner or because of
  move to Gnome 3 or because the notification area is no more present in
  Gnome Shell or Unity or to suppress some options or customization
  (like in Nautilus) - or is it temporary and will be fixed with a
  future version of Empathy or Telepathy ?

  Because now, I often miss some conversations... I had to go to Dconf
  editor to activate the Ubuntu notifications (being informed with the
  top-right bubble via libnotify and sound when a contact connects, goes
  offline), but did not find any way to force chat window go to
  foreground.

  The only indication goes on the MeMenu (I miss it often) and to Unity
  dock when no chat window is opened (only the contact ones), a number
  appears to indicate how many messages are unread. But when the chat
  window is opened and in the background, no more number, just a small
  and short animation on the Unity dock...

  So is there a way to have this back in Ubuntu (via Dconf or something
  else) ? Empathy is well integrated in Gnome and Ubuntu, with online
  contacts, Telepathy... and I want to keep using it, but I need this
  configuration to be available (as an option) again.

  I asked main Empathy developer, who answered me by mail : solution is
  to

  Write a Telepathy script : a "telepathy Approver" which automatically
  approves all new text-type channels.

  To make the window visible at foreground each time we receive a
  message (even if chat window is already opened but in background), it
  needs to be also an "Observer" and that it calls PresentChannel() for
  all answers we get.

  I don't know how to do this and if it can be implemented in Ubuntu ?

  Thanks in advance for your help.

  Best regards,

  Xavier

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/1182189/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to