Chris, sorry for the slow response - things have been pretty busy here.
Here's a dmesg generated with drm.debug=6.  I'll also attach the X log
file.  Happy to perform any other debugging steps you like - just let me
know.

** Attachment added: "dmesg generated with drm.debug=6"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1177358/+attachment/3684660/+files/dmesg

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  black line garbage flickers onto screen every few minutes

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 on a MacBookAir5,2.  The machine has an Intel
  HD Graphics 4000 processor.

  Every few minutes, a bunch of garbage blank lines flickers onto the
  screen for a fraction of a second and then vanishes.  I also saw this
  running 13.04 on the same machine, but never before that.  It's
  impossible for me to capture a screenshot since it's completely
  unpredictable when this will happen.  But it's pretty distracting.