Any interim solutions for how to suspend would be welcome, too, because
at the moment I cannot find a way to suspend (and resume!) my laptop. So
I think my only option whenever I need to travel is to either leave it
running with the lid closed, or to shut it down and start it up each
time.

  Macbook running Ubuntu 13.04 stop working when suspended

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  I am using Ubuntu 13.04 in macbook retina and everytime I suspend (or
  suspend closing) the notebook its screen stays completely black and I
  can heard the sound that it is still working, it does not suspend and
  it does not return from this state. I tried to click on all keyboard
  keys and some combinations as well as using the touchpad. Anyway, it
  really does not work after being suspended. It continues on (does not
  really suspend) and does not work so that I have to hold the turn off
  button and turn it on again. I think this is a main issue, and
  probably others are having the same problem (maybe not just with
  macs).