No, it is not a WORKAROUND. The problem persists also with this PPA
version.

  Calc takes a very long time to load document

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  Have a look at the example.ods attached. The process of opening it
  takes 80 seconds on my system, though the size is just 8.7 kB. The
  example.ods was originally my file for personal contacts which at one
  point started to misbehave as described. I have deleted all the other
  tabs and all the content visible now. However, there seems to be
  something left somewhere. When I do CTRL+A Delete and save the problem
  disappears. I would expect that something like this should not happen.

  Package: libreoffice-calc 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu4
  Date: Sun Mar  3 21:07:47 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-19 (135 days ago)