Actually, I am surprised so few people have complained about this.
Perhaps Thunderbird is not used so much (particularly in Kubuntu)? Or
people don't use the default theme?

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird Icon set is broken (ugly, black and white icons)

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Since Oneiric the standard theme in thunderbird is broken. In Oneiric (and
Precise) some of the coloured Icons were replaced by black&white pictograms,
but not consistently all. For example the Lightning Icons still remain
coloured, as they were before.
  I don't know why some Icons were replaced by pictograms (is this because of a
new GTK-Theme?) , this is only in the Linux version of TB, the Windows version
still has the coloured icons. It would have been better if the old standard
theme remains untouched, and a new theme would have been created for the new
black&white pictograms.

  See attached screenshot for the weird icons.

  Possible work-around: Download Thunderbird from mozilla, extract a
  file called omni.ja and overwrite the copy at /usr/lib/thunderbird/.
  Not sure if this has undesired effects (it may delete all your email,
  so be careful!), but it works for me.