Why don't you install ibus-qt4 and use QT_IM_MODULE=ibus ?

** Changed in: ibus (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  QT apps won't work - QT_IM_MODULE=xim

Status in “ibus” package in Ubuntu:

  In both ubuntu and xubuntu, natty and oneiric (haven't tried kubuntu,
  though I imagine it works there, at least!) ibus input is broken for
  qt apps - I can use ctrl-space to type in Japanese, but can't use the
  compose key to enter accented letters.

  I did some poking around, and found that GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus, but
  QT_IM_MODULE=xim - clearing that variable with 'QT_IM_MODULE= qt_app'
  fixes the problem.

  Then I looked to see where it's being set to XIM, and it looks like the
problem is in /etc/X11/xinput.d/ibus, line 12. It's looking for
/usr/lib/qt4/plugins/inputmethods/libqtim-ibus.so, but the file is actually at
  /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/qt4/plugins/inputmethods/libqtim-ibus.so. When I
corrected the path in this file, the environment variable was correctly set to
ibus instead of xim.