In the current development version of Ubuntu (13.10 Saucy) the power
settings do offer a choice "When the lid is closed: Do nothing".  So I'm
marking this as fixed.  (The behavior is broken, but that's a different
issue; see bug #990908.)

** Changed in: gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  "Do Nothing" option not available for lid closing in Power settings

Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager

  Usecase:
  --------------
  I want to connect my laptop to a monitor and then close the laptop lid, so
that I can continue using my laptop with the display routed to the monitor. For
doing so, I open the power management window and try to set the "When laptop
lid is closed" option to "Do Nothing". However this option is simply not
available. The only options available are "Shutdown", "Hibernate", 'Suspend" &
"Blank Screen". The "Blank Screen" option is not suitable in this case, as it
causes my monitor to display a blank screen on closing the laptop lid.

  Steps to reproduce:
  -------------------------------
  Control Center -> Power Management -> Check the options under "When laptop
lid is closed" (for both "On AC Power" and "On Battery Power" tabs)

  Workaround:
  Manually set the values of 'lid_ac" and/or "lid_battery" to "nothing", as
described in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8275103&postcount=1

  System configuration:
      Samsung netbook
      Ubuntu 10.10