This is still an issue in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  Press a letter key in contacts window does not select first
  corresponding item

Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: evolution

  It would be nice that if a letter key is pressed when the Contacts
  window is open, the first item beginning with that letter would be
  selected. I know this is not a bug but rather a wishlist matter, but I
  don't know where other to specify it. Also sorry if for some reason
  this "feature" is intentionally not implemented, please explain me why
  if that's the case because I didn't find any information about it.

  (Tested with Evolution 2.30.3 on Ubuntu 10.10)

  Expected behaviour:
  Press a letter key when the contacts window is open selects the first contact
which begins with the corresponding letter

  Current behaviour:
  Pressing a letter key when the contacts window is open does nothing.