hello all,

I have the same issue.
I am running a AMD/ATI RV620/M82 mobility
lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]

As I could find out AMD has stopped the support of the chip so the new
drivers wouldn't support the "old" card. Damn, the notebook is a litte
more older than 3 years. Have I to switch my hardware every time a
driver gets unavailable? I hate it really, the crap with the proprietary
drivers... I do not play, do not use 3D but I need a fast desktop for
work.

Okay enough of my pain.
Here the supported chips
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst13-4linreleasenotes.aspx

You could try to downgrade your drivers AND your x-server with the ppa
https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

and here a duplicate entry
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1184339

hope it helps

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  fglrx and fglrx-updates not working (Ubuntu 13.04)

Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:

  I made a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.04, then to solve the overheating problem
with open source drivers, tried to install the proprietary ati drivers from the
update manager.
  Both not worked, leaving the system with only the wallpaper and the mouse
pointer.

  Same story with the ati installer (catalyst 13.4). I tried both,
  generating packages for Ubuntu and using the .run installer itself.
  Always wallpaper and pointer.

  It seems that no installation of ati drivers is possible on Ubuntu
  13.04.

  I have a Radeon HD 6770M / Intel system.