Public bug reported:

I've noticed lately  that I've have had trouble launching firefox after
start-up/login, and I think it might be do to the fact that I'm often
changing network settings right before launching it.

For example, upon starting and logging into Ubuntu, I often have to
change the LAN that eth0 defaults to, and directly after doing this
(with the connection manager), I'll launch firefox. It seems that since
I'm launching firefox at a time that the network settings having
completely established connection, it is causing Firefox not to launch
at all.

In the past, I would expect it to perhaps launch more slowly, but lately
(like I said) it doesn't launch at all (graphically) under these types
of circumstances, yet in system monitor I'll see it listed there as a
process that has no graphical representation on my desktop. After
killing that hung process, I am then able to launch it.

I've always wished that firefox would launch completely BEFORE polling
for its internet connection settings. I've always despised it launching
slow due to it not being able to find an internet connection. And now
that I'm having issues with it not launching at all, (due to similar
circumstances), I'm now proposing that firefox be coded so that it
doesn't check for an internet connection before launching! I believe the
GUI should launch rather immediately, and completely, before performing
any of its connection probing.

I digress, additionally, I'd like it to be more responsively aware of
networking changes made during a session. It is frustrating when I
change to another network (using connection manager) and it takes
firefox a while (after the new network connection is established) to
become aware that it is now operating on a different IP with a different
subnet.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
Package: firefox 21.0+build2-0ubuntu0.13.04.2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-25.37-generic 3.8.13
Uname: Linux 3.8.0-25-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0:  lonnie     2189 F.... pulseaudio
 /dev/snd/controlC1:  lonnie     2189 F.... pulseaudio
 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p:   lonnie     2189 F...m pulseaudio
BuildID: 20130512193848
Channel: Unavailable
Date: Sun Jun 23 19:43:06 2013
ForcedLayersAccel: False
IfupdownConfig:
 # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback
InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-04-02 (82 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Alpha amd64 (20130401)
IpRoute:
 default via 192.168.77.1 dev eth0  proto static 
 169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link  metric 1000 
 192.168.77.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.77.252  metric 
1
MarkForUpload: True
MostRecentCrashID: bp-d59cde60-f2cd-4009-97d8-e5fd92130515
PrefSources:
 prefs.js
 
[Profile]/extensions/{b9db16a4-6edc-47ec-a1f4-b86292ed211d}/defaults/preferences/prefs-dwhelper.js
Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=21.0/20130512193848 (In use)
RelatedPackageVersions:
 google-talkplugin 4.0.3.0-1
 icedtea-7-plugin  1.3.2-1ubuntu1
 totem-mozilla     3.6.3-0ubuntu6
 rhythmbox-mozilla 2.98-0ubuntu5
RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
SourcePackage: firefox
SubmittedCrashIDs: bp-d59cde60-f2cd-4009-97d8-e5fd92130515
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 04/14/2011
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.bios.version: A09
dmi.board.name: 0P792H
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.board.version: A09
dmi.chassis.type: 8
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.chassis.version: A09
dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA09:bd04/14/2011:svnDellInc.:pnStudio1737:pvrA09:rvnDellInc.:rn0P792H:rvrA09:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrA09:
dmi.product.name: Studio 1737
dmi.product.version: A09
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.

** Affects: firefox (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New


** Tags: amd64 apport-bug raring

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to firefox in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1193961

Title:
  Firefox fails to launch if Network Connections Aren't Established

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  I've noticed lately  that I've have had trouble launching firefox
  after start-up/login, and I think it might be do to the fact that I'm
  often changing network settings right before launching it.

  For example, upon starting and logging into Ubuntu, I often have to
  change the LAN that eth0 defaults to, and directly after doing this
  (with the connection manager), I'll launch firefox. It seems that
  since I'm launching firefox at a time that the network settings having
  completely established connection, it is causing Firefox not to launch
  at all.

  In the past, I would expect it to perhaps launch more slowly, but
  lately (like I said) it doesn't launch at all (graphically) under
  these types of circumstances, yet in system monitor I'll see it listed
  there as a process that has no graphical representation on my desktop.
  After killing that hung process, I am then able to launch it.

  I've always wished that firefox would launch completely BEFORE polling
  for its internet connection settings. I've always despised it
  launching slow due to it not being able to find an internet
  connection. And now that I'm having issues with it not launching at
  all, (due to similar circumstances), I'm now proposing that firefox be
  coded so that it doesn't check for an internet connection before
  launching! I believe the GUI should launch rather immediately, and
  completely, before performing any of its connection probing.

  I digress, additionally, I'd like it to be more responsively aware of
  networking changes made during a session. It is frustrating when I
  change to another network (using connection manager) and it takes
  firefox a while (after the new network connection is established) to
  become aware that it is now operating on a different IP with a
  different subnet.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
  Package: firefox 21.0+build2-0ubuntu0.13.04.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-25.37-generic 3.8.13
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-25-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  lonnie     2189 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  lonnie     2189 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p:   lonnie     2189 F...m pulseaudio
  BuildID: 20130512193848
  Channel: Unavailable
  Date: Sun Jun 23 19:43:06 2013
  ForcedLayersAccel: False
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-04-02 (82 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Alpha amd64 (20130401)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.77.1 dev eth0  proto static 
   169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link  metric 1000 
   192.168.77.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.77.252  
metric 1
  MarkForUpload: True
  MostRecentCrashID: bp-d59cde60-f2cd-4009-97d8-e5fd92130515
  PrefSources:
   prefs.js
   
[Profile]/extensions/{b9db16a4-6edc-47ec-a1f4-b86292ed211d}/defaults/preferences/prefs-dwhelper.js
  Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=21.0/20130512193848 (In use)
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   google-talkplugin 4.0.3.0-1
   icedtea-7-plugin  1.3.2-1ubuntu1
   totem-mozilla     3.6.3-0ubuntu6
   rhythmbox-mozilla 2.98-0ubuntu5
  RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
  SourcePackage: firefox
  SubmittedCrashIDs: bp-d59cde60-f2cd-4009-97d8-e5fd92130515
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  dmi.bios.date: 04/14/2011
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A09
  dmi.board.name: 0P792H
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.board.version: A09
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.version: A09
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA09:bd04/14/2011:svnDellInc.:pnStudio1737:pvrA09:rvnDellInc.:rn0P792H:rvrA09:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrA09:
  dmi.product.name: Studio 1737
  dmi.product.version: A09
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1193961/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to