I have the same issue and now with my last update of ubuntu 13.04 the
claws-mail tray icon disappeared too apparently because the system tray
whitelist (set to 'all') does not work anymore. currently there is no
visual indication that I have new mail waiting. I have to go to claws-
mail and check there.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Indicator applet does not honor preferred email client

Status in Indicator Applet:
  Invalid
Status in The Messaging Menu:
  Confirmed
Status in “indicator-messages” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  I installed Claws-Mail and set it as my Preferred Application's Mail
  Reader.  However the indicator applet's mail icon never reacts to new
  messages, and still wants to start up Evolution for both Mail and
  Compose New Message.

  I can understand if Claws has to be modified to update the indicator
  applet's mail icon, but the applet should honor my selection of Claws
  as my preferred mail reader.  That, or there should be a way to
  inhibit the mail icon from my top panel.  Since I still want audio
  control up there, I can't just remove the indicator panel altogether,
  but as it is now, the mail icon is pretty useless and very annoying!