I checked hda-jack-sense-test and noticed it can take the command-line
option -d|--codec so I tried using that:

$ sudo /usr/bin/hda-jack-sense-test -d 2
Sigmatel specific "Analog Loopback: 0x00" verb ignored for the moment
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hda-jack-sense-test", line 44, in <module>
    codec = HDACodec(cardindex, codecindex)
  File "/usr/share/snd-hda-tools/hda_codec.py", line 929, in __init__
    self.parse_proc()
  File "/usr/share/snd-hda-tools/hda_codec.py", line 1011, in parse_proc
    self.proc_codec = HDACodecProc(self.card, self.device, file)
  File "/usr/share/snd-hda-tools/hda_proc.py", line 474, in __init__
    self.parse(proc_file)
  File "/usr/share/snd-hda-tools/hda_proc.py", line 720, in parse
    self.wrongfile(line)
  File "/usr/share/snd-hda-tools/hda_proc.py", line 143, in wrongfile
    raise ValueError, "wrong proc file format (%s)" % msg
ValueError: wrong proc file format (  IEC Coding Type: 0x0)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  No sound on speakers with HDA Intel, SigmaTel STAC9228, kernel 3.10

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 13.04 Raring with linux 3.10.0-031000-generic from kernel-ppa.

  Card: HDA Intel
  Chip: SigmaTel STAC9228

  After booting the 3.10 kernel there was no sound on speakers although
  sound on headphones was fine.

  Using the sound control GUI in Unity I was unable to find any
  combination of options to enable sound to the speakers. Mute and
  volume controls for the Speaker output device were set correctly.

  I tried using "alasamixer" in a terminal and with "View: [All]"
  noticed a mixer control "<Auto-Mute>" which was set to "Enabled". I
  altered that to "Disabled" and speaker sound was enabled correctly.