This is a really embarassing bug especially for us enterprise users.

Sébatien's workaround works but you're then required to enter your
password each time you connect to the network.

Adding this line to etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/<network id> fixed
that for me:
password=<password>

So the workaround is to remove this line:
system-ca-certs=true
and add this line in its place:
password=<password>

Though storing your password in plain text like that is not great :(

  802.1x security in 13.04 not working

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  I installed a fresh 13.04 Ubuntu 64bit today and 802.1x security is
  not working any more. Yesterday I had 12.10 and it worked on the same
  computer.

  My settings are:
  Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
  Anonymous identity: