respawn workaround works fine here, but frankly I find it troubling that
such a severe issue has gone unfixed for so long... Will we ever get an
official update that fixes this? New users shouldn't be expected to edit
config files just to get their system to boot correctly. This type of
bug should never even make it out of a beta release, and definitely
shouldn't go unfixed in multiple "stable" releases.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm tries (and fails) to start too early?

Status in Upstart:
  New
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Sometimes lightdm comes up fine.  Other times it appears to fail.
  x-0.log shows it tried to load 'nv' (rather than 'nvidia' which is
  what actually exists).  When I then log into console and 'start
  lightdm', it comes up fine (on :1).

  I've not had it come up ok today, so I don't know if, when it comes up
  fine, it starts on :0.  No idea if the lightdm.conf needs a change to
  'start on'clause, or if this is just a case of a bad shipped config
  file (for module 'nv').

  Package: lightdm 1.1.9-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Mar 30 13:40:27 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Alpha amd64
(20120323)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)