Agreed the situation wouldn't be much better in terms of playing music
but I think banshee's behaviour could be. At the moment Ubuntu appears
not to work as I try to start banshee and nothing happens (not even an
error message). Are there no system calls that can return errors instead
of deadlocking when failing to read files from a network mounted
filesystem? If not perhaps it is a failing of the system? If there are
shouldn't banshee be using them? Perhaps for some technical reason it is
not possible to implement them?

I've the created the empty file and I'll attach the log if it happens
again.

Packages, which is subscribed to banshee in Ubuntu.

  Cannot restart banshee after crash

Status in “banshee” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  If banshee crashes the sound/audio system menu still shows it as
  available but nothing happens if I click on it. With ps I can see a
  defunct banshee process that cannot be removed. If I try to run
  banshee from the command line nothing happens. Restarting gdm and/or
  unity also has no effect. As far as I can tell there is now no way to
  start banshee short of rebooting which is annoying. Does anyone know
  how I can start banshee without closing everything down and rebooting?
  Perhaps there is some part of Ubuntu that controls the sound menu and
  I can restart that? I was hoping it was part of gdm or unity but
  restarting them didn't help.

  Release:      13.04
  but I have seen the same behaviour in 12.04