Installing texlive-latex-extra seems to solve the problem.

Ubuntu 12.04
texlive-latex-extra 2009-10ubuntu1

Packages, which is subscribed to texlive-base in Ubuntu.

  glossaries package not included with texlive

Status in “texlive-base” package in Ubuntu:

  Altough it is stated to be with texlive by CTAN, glossaries package is not
included when I install texlive under XUbuntu 8.10. When compiling a file
including the command \usepackage{glossaries} I get the error:
  ! LaTeX Error: File `glossaries.sty' not found.

  Exactly the same file compiles fine using TeXnicCenter and Miktex
  under Windows XP.

  At first I tried to find an ubuntu package that includes the latex
  package via synaptic. As this was not successful I installed the
  complete texlive distribution "texlive-full". However it was nowhere
  inside and I still got the error that the package was not available.

  So I tried to install the package manually by copying it to
  "/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex" and "~/texmf/tex/latex" and running
  sudo texhash. This did not work either.

  I think there should be an ubuntu package including this latex package
  so it is installabel using synaptic.