a workaround: http://askubuntu.com/questions/112968/automatically-
disable-wifi-wireless-when-wired/112969#112969

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  network manager keeps trying to connect to random wireless connections
  when already connected to wired connection

Status in “gnome-shell” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  At work my laptop can see 10+ wireless connections, non of which I'm
  interesed in connecting to.

  Even whilst I'm connected to a wired lan, network manager randomly
  pops open a request to enter the password for a number of these
  network connections. These requests seem to happen at random intervals
  during the day.

  As I'm using gnome 3 this actually gets worse. When it asks for a
  wireless password I first get a gnome themed password prompt (which I
  cancel) and then i get the standard non-themed password prompt.

  To make things even worse, if I attempt to go in and attempt to edit
  the wireless settings, the 'Configure...' button is disabled unless
  I'm already connected to a network. (ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!).

  Love,
  Brett

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      11.10

  sudo apt-cache policy network-manager
  [sudo] password for bsutton:
  network-manager:
    Installed: 0.9.1.90-0ubuntu5.1
    Candidate: 0.9.1.90-0ubuntu5.1
    Version table:
   *** 0.9.1.90-0ubuntu5.1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       0.9.1.90-0ubuntu3 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages

  Package: network-manager-gnome 0.9.1.90-0ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory