Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: empathy (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  (stderr) Failed to parse new birthday string

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  When I run empathy from command line, I can see following in my
  console window:

  alex@umbrella:~$ empathy &
  [1] 3786
  alex@umbrella:~$
  (empathy:3786): telepathy-WARNING **: tpf-persona.vala:841: Failed to parse
new birthday string '11.06.1981'

  (empathy:3786): telepathy-WARNING **: tpf-persona.vala:841: Failed to parse
new birthday string '1/01/1981'
  alex@umbrella:~$

  Is it a problem to parse these date strings? Seems it would be clear.
  The first one:

  11.06.1981 is standard form of date in Russia.   (day.month.year)

  The second is American one:

  1/01/1981   ( month/day/year ).

  As a programmer, I understand we are expected another date format
  here, but  why just don't parse it properly in case of exception
  occured?

  If it already parsed properly may be its not usefull to print out this
  warning.

  Package: empathy 3.4.2.3-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.1