If you don't mind running non-release versions of Onboard, you might try the
updated version available in our PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~onboard/+archive/ppa

By the way, the version in the PPA also includes two new layouts, that
resemble more the layouts found on mobile devices.

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  onboard crashes on launch

Status in Onboard on-screen keyboard:
  New
Status in “onboard” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Lenovo with a touch screen.
  When I launch Onboard, it crashes. It usually crashes on launch but I think
there was one time where it didn't crash until I pressed the first key.
  While I'm on the subject, could onboard be made a bit more user-friendly and
simple? Like the iPad?

  Package: onboard 0.99.0~alpha1~tr1190-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.11-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64