(In reply to Brian Hauer from comment #21)
> Expanding on the example above, assume you have nicknames "wil", "jan", and
> "bob".  You should be able to type "wil,jan,bob" to quickly address a mail
> to all three.  When focus leaves the field, the parser should expand each
> based on a nickname match, resulting in three entries in the addressing user
> interface.
> [snip]
> I consider nicknames to be a special case of address resolution.  As the
> proponents above have said, at the least nicknames should be treated as the
> #1 priority in finding a matching address.  But I would recommend going
> further: namely, nickname resolution should occur -after- the
> comma-delimited parsing of the user's input occurs.

+1 to all of comment 21 and the underlying understanding of nicks as 1
on 1 aliases. However, focus in this bug is on giving resolved (single)
nicks precedence in autocomplete results. So resolving multiple comma-
separated nicks is probably beyond the scope of this bug. More
reminiscent of (but perhaps not the same as) bug 295428. I'd recommend
filing a separate bug for resolving a comma-separated list of nicknames.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/956618

Title:
  Nickname not over-riding names in email address

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  From what I have read in the support forum the nickname should take
  priority in the search for an email address in the to: field. It does
  not appear to work any more.

  Example:

  One friend's address is Mark<[email protected]>. The other is
  James<[email protected]>. Both are in my address book with Mark
  entered as the nickname of [email protected]  and James as nickname for
  [email protected].

  If I type james in the To: field I get james.mark as a first entry in
  the list of available addresses.

  If I type mark I get the same address again, when I would prefer the
  first optional address to be [email protected]

  Reason it is needed:
  I am trying to avoid sending emails meant for [email protected] to James.mark 
because I do not notice in time that I have defaulted to the first entry in the 
list of available addresses.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  Package: thunderbird 10.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.11.10.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-16.29-generic-pae 3.0.20
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-16-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  BuildID: 20120216123548
  Date: Fri Mar 16 00:31:06 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release i386 (20111012)
  SourcePackage: thunderbird
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/thunderbird/+bug/956618/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to