This seems to have been broken again in Saucy

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Default setting for 'Power button pressed' in Power applet set to
  'Suspend'

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:

  The system I'm reporting this from has an uber fresh install of
  Oneiric Alpha2 on it, so no suspicion of settings getting changed
  here.

  Basically pressing the power button now defaults to suspending the
  system. This is very annoying especially on some netbooks with
  stupidly placed power buttons which get pressed accidentally. The old
  default was 'Ask Me' and it should remain this way unless there is a
  good reason not to (which I'd be glad to hear).

  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.1.3-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0-3.4-generic 3.0.0-rc5
  Uname: Linux 3.0-3-generic i686
  Architecture: i386