Public bug reported:

I think every day-to-day Linux user has come across the problem quite
frequently by now, as it's by now means specific to elementary OS (and
thus, I must admit I'm not certain whether I filed this report under the
right project).

Insert a USB drive (in this case a 4GB one with a FAT32 file system), copy a 
large file like a movie to it.
Result: The copy dialog will show up, and within 10 seconds or so the bar is at 
100% and it says "0 seconds remaining".
After that you still have to wait ~5 minutes for the data to actually be copied.
When looking at iotop during tis time you can see a process called flush is 
still actively working (the weird thing is that it's often more like 80%+ IO 
for a while, then nothing for a while, and repeat until finished).
When it's finally done, the file copy dialog will disappear and you can safely 
unmount the storage media.

This is a longstanding problem preset in many distro's, and I think it's
about time something was done about it. Although I don't really know
whether it's related to the file manager or something else. But seeing
as I wouldn't have a clue what else it'd be related to, I chose to file
it as a bug in the file manager.

** Affects: nautilus
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New

** Affects: pantheon-files
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New


** Tags: copy cut external-media file media paste usb

** Attachment added: "Screenshot from 2013-08-14 21:12:03.png"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1212400/+attachment/3772988/+files/Screenshot%20from%202013-08-14%2021%3A12%3A03.png

** Also affects: nautilus
   Importance: Undecided
       Status: New

** Also affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)
   Importance: Undecided
       Status: New

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1212400

Title:
  flush after copy

Status in Nautilus:
  New
Status in Files:
  New
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  I think every day-to-day Linux user has come across the problem quite
  frequently by now, as it's by now means specific to elementary OS (and
  thus, I must admit I'm not certain whether I filed this report under
  the right project).

  Insert a USB drive (in this case a 4GB one with a FAT32 file system), copy a 
large file like a movie to it.
  Result: The copy dialog will show up, and within 10 seconds or so the bar is 
at 100% and it says "0 seconds remaining".
  After that you still have to wait ~5 minutes for the data to actually be 
copied.
  When looking at iotop during tis time you can see a process called flush is 
still actively working (the weird thing is that it's often more like 80%+ IO 
for a while, then nothing for a while, and repeat until finished).
  When it's finally done, the file copy dialog will disappear and you can 
safely unmount the storage media.

  This is a longstanding problem preset in many distro's, and I think
  it's about time something was done about it. Although I don't really
  know whether it's related to the file manager or something else. But
  seeing as I wouldn't have a clue what else it'd be related to, I chose
  to file it as a bug in the file manager.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nautilus/+bug/1212400/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to