John, are the id3 tags set correctly on the device? Will any of the
music play?

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Doesn't recognize music files in portable device

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  I plugged in my S3 (SCH-I535) with hundreds of music files, but when I
plugged it in to my computer and opened Rhythmbox, Rhythmbox...
  - listed 200 files
  - set all fields (Title, Artist, etc.) to Unknown

  Package: rhythmbox 2.99.1-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.12-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperVersion: 1.336