I had to switch to a non-cups driver as a workaround.

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Can't print from Evince/"Document Viewer" HP 4215

Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:

  Just upgraded to 12.04 from 10.04 a few days ago.  Am able to print
  test pages, web forms, and Libre Office documents but when I try to
  print a .pdf opened with Evince, the document goes into the print
  queue and stays there with a status of "stopped."  The only thing that
  I can do at that point is to cancel the document, the only other
  options available are "reprint" which puts it right back in the same
  state, and "retrieve" which saves the file to disk.  I can't say with
  100% certainty that I was able to print .pdfs from 10.04 but I can't
  imagine that I was using that distro for several years without having
  the occasion to do so at least once.

  Package: evince 3.4.0-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx