That's interesting. I only tried to boot and reboot the 64 bit version of that
Live CD, and it seems to work.
But what is even more interesting is that this is the first time I've got the
system to report back energy_full_design.

I can try and load a newer kernel onto my Mint install and see if that
works. I'm kinda a newbie at this, so don't expect miracles.

But as you said, this is most likely not related to upower.

Packages, which is subscribed to upower in Ubuntu.

  Asus n56vz battery state is wrong or battery not charging at all.

Status in “upower” package in Ubuntu:

  I have an ASUS N56VZ notebook. There are some bugs I have mentioned and they
are known on ubuntu forums.
  Sometimes I am getting strange results in battery power state, that are not
even close to be accurate.
  So bugs are:
  1) Then I am turning on the notebok with not enough power (3% for example)
the fan is going to it`s full speed (no CPU loading at all) and the power
indicator shows that power is insufficient. Plugging the power adapter didn`t
solved the problem - it was not charging and notebook soon turns off.
  2) As I described above, I can`t feed the notebook sometimes (especially on
low battery level).
  3) I am getting the strange battery state result: sometimes it looks, that
it`s charging very slow. Am am working about a hour and my power level just
rised from 30 minutes to 40 minutes.
  4) I am not sure about this bug, may be it`s a hardware one, but then I
turned notebook off with plugged in power adapter, it was not charged at all
for the whole night!
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2084696 - here is a proof, that I am
not alone )))

  Package: upower 0.9.17-1build1