> excerpt from workdir/*/JunitTest/sc_unoapi/done.log:
>
> > checking: [sc.ScModelObj::com::sun::star::sheet::XGoalSeek] is iface:
> > [com.sun.star.sheet.XGoalSeek] testcode: [ifc.sheet._XGoalSeek]
> > LOG> Execute: seekGoal()
> > LOG> Goal Result: 16.0   Divergence: 0.0
> > LOG> Goal Result: 9.0   Divergence: 1.7976931348623157E308
> > LOG> Goal Result: 0.8   Divergence: 1.7976931348623157E308
> > Method seekGoal() finished with state FAILED
> > LOG> seekGoal(): PASSED.FAILED

The java test expects tests 1,2 3 to succeed, fail, succeed. The first 2
tests pass, the 3rd doesn't.

The third test going wrong is a special case. The one 'real' root (1) is
invalid because of divide by zero, so goal seek must find the an approximate
that give an error within the allowable delta (1E-6 in the case of goal seek).
With a start value of 0, goal seek succeeds, but with a start value of 0.8 (the
java test) it does not with the patched code and does succeed with unpatched
code.
I will try to trace the goal seek process of the patched code to find out what
goes wrong.

Packages, which is subscribed to openoffice.org in Ubuntu.

  [Upstream] [hardy] Goal Seek hangs Calc indefinitely

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Fix Released
Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “openoffice.org” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: openoffice.org-calc

  1) lsb_release -rd
  Release:      11.04

  2) apt-cache policy libreoffice-calc
  libreoffice-calc:
    Installed: 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu5
    Candidate: 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu5
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu5 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-updates/main i386
Packages
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-proposed/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:3.3.2-1ubuntu4 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main i386 Packages

  3) What is expected to happen in LibreOffice Calc via the Terminal:

  cd ~/Desktop && wget

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/156381/+attachment/167142/+files/sample.ods
  && localc -nologo sample.ods

  Tools -> Goal Seek... -> Formula Cell $F$110 -> Target 0 -> Variable
  Cell $E$7 -> OK button

  and it does so quickly and successfully.

  4) What happens instead is it hangs Calc (waited ~10 minutes than
  killed process).

  WORKAROUND: Use Gnumeric as it performs the calculation instantly.

  apt-cache policy gnumeric
  gnumeric:
    Installed: 1.10.13-1ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1.10.13-1ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1.10.13-1ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/universe i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Original Reporter Comments: If you use the "Goal Seek" on a
  spreadsheet that exceeds 105 rows OOO calc hangs completely, taking
  over 50% of CPU and you have to force the exit.