I've been looking into this for a couple of evenings now, patching
xserver-xorg-video-vmware to find out where and why 1920x1080 mode is
disappearning. Turns out I've been looking in the wrong place, since
1920x1080 is simply never there. Digging where these modes are really
coming from I found a builtin mode list is in the kernel, see:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/gpu/drm/vmwgfx/vmwgfx_kms.c

It's interesting that even latest Linux 3.10 doesn't have 1920x1080 in
there! Could someone push for this extremely common mode to be included
in the kernel?

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Unable to set 1920x1080 resolution in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 as a VMWare
  Workstation 8 guest

Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:

  My host system is Win7 64bit. My notebook has 1920x1080 native
  resolutions. I’m running VMWare Workstation 8 for desktop
  virtualization. Today I’ve installed Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 as a guest. I
  was unable to set 1920x1080 resolution on the guest side. The gnome-
  control-center display command offered me a lot of other resolutions,
  but 1920x1080.

  I’ve also installed the vmware-tools, because I assumed the absence of that
tool is the problem. However I’ve had to realize the problem still exist after
a successful vmware-tools installation. (Yep, I did a reboot after the
installation.)
  I have to say my Ubuntu 11.10 works like a charm, so for that version the
1920x1080 not a problem at all.

  If you need more information to fix this problem, I’m glade to help
  you.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.4.0-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-20.33-generic-pae 3.2.12
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-20-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.95-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Mar 30 14:30:13 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386
(20120327.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   TERM=xterm