** Attachment added: "lightdm.log (from /var/log/lightdm directory)"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/1217378/+attachment/3798467/+files/lightdm.log

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lightdm does not recognize 3D acceleration with ati radeon driver (Low
  graphics mode error)

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi all.

  I'm experiencing a problem in Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS.

  I have an ATI Radeon 9100 (r200), which supports 3D acceleration as
  you can verify by

  $ glxinfo | grep direct
  direct rendering: Yes

  and is using the xserver-xorg-video-ati / xserver-xorg-video-radeon
  driver.

  Anyway, after some upgrades time ago, lightdm started to not recognize
graphics capability: when I power up the pc, I got a "The system is running in
low graphics mode" error.
  I tried to reconfigure the package and many other solutions I've seen around
the internet, but I couldn't solve it.

  The only workaround, which also justifies why I selected "lightdm"
  package and not "xserver-xorg-video-ati" package, was to switch logon
  screen from lightdm to gdm: GDM correctly recognizes the 3D ability
  and gives no error.

  Steps to reproduce the bug:
  1- Install an ATI Radeon 9100 card
  2- Install Ubuntu 32bit 12.04.3 LTS (lightdm v.1.2.3-ubuntu2.3,
xserver-xorg-video-radeon v1:6-14.99~git20111219.aacbd629-0ubuntu2)
  3- Start the computer.

  I may suggest, though I'm not so sure, it could be a regression?
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
  ati/+bug/495973

  Thanks in advance,
  Rob