Given that beta1 is in three days, I suppose this is a long shot, but:
I'm attaching the commit and checking the 'patch' checkbox...

** Patch added: "Cherrypicked fix from upstream"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/1219583/+attachment/3799374/+files/0001-Epson-Perfection-1650-doesn-t-support-the-FSG_STATUS.patch

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  SANE does not work anymore with Epson Perfection 1650. Used to work
  perfectly.

Status in “sane-backends” package in Ubuntu:

  On my plain vanilla ubuntu 13.04 system, with an Epson Perfection 1650
scanner plugged in,
  clicking 'Scan' in xsane, or running scanimage, yielded a short scan run and
the message
  '[epson2] e2_ext_read: cancel request received' on stderr.

  This turns out to be caused by the commit

  commit 63a8dd4ebc9535b23d7a922cb0e7a9a682edd955
  Author: Alessandro Zummo <a.zu...@towertech.it>
  Date:   Sat Jan 9 23:21:50 2010 +0100

      epson2: improved error detection

  as guessed by a comment in the related Debian bug report
  which also had a spot-on suggestion for how to fix it.
  I've attached the draft patch to

  There is also an upstream bug report,

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?group_id=30186&atid=410366&func=detail&aid=312793
  but I have not been able to comment there (alioth's login system defeated me).
  That upstream bug report also has a simple workaround (edit
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf to
  uncomment epson and comment epson2), but a real fix would be nice.

  So, assuming no upstream release before 13.10, how about adding my patch?
  I'd be happy to submit it in a more ubuntu-friendly form.

  Package: libsane 1.0.23-0ubuntu1 [modified:
usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epson2.so.1.0.23]
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-29.42-generic 3.8.13.5
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-29-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.3
  Architecture: amd64