also: what kind of error do you get with adobe reader?

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  PDFs of scanned documents are incompatible with Adobe Reader

Status in “simple-scan” package in Ubuntu:

  The problemoccurs on both Raring and Saucy if I scan a document of
  several pages with simple-scan and save it as PDF file, the PDF file
  can be read by all PDF readers (evince, gs, MuPDF, ...) except Adobe
  Reader. This makes simple-scan unusable, as you as Ubuntu user think
  that you have working PDFs (evince reads them) but the person
  receiving your file, Windows user, cannot read it (with Adobe Reader).

  simple-scan is 3.9.90-0ubuntu1, Adobe Reader are the most recent
  versions from the AppStores on iOS and Android (I have no Windows
  box).