Worth noting that it's already possible to add new directories to the
schema search path via GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR.

Packages, which is subscribed to glib2.0 in Ubuntu.

  per-session gsettings overrides

Status in “glib2.0” package in Ubuntu:

  There have been several occasions now where Ubuntu GNOME has had to
  patch code, that could in theory instead be handled by per-session
  gsettings overrides. A recent example is the background plugin in
  gnome-settings-daemon (LP: #1219148), this should be loaded under
  unity, gnome-flashback sessions but not gnome-shell session. A per-
  session override would make this possible without any patches to the
  codebase.

  As I understand it the overrides are processed by glib-compile-schemas
  so perhaps we would have to recompile schemas on each login to achieve
  this? Any thoughts on how we can achieve this?