I think it's "inherited from LibO" I was able to reproduce both RTF and
DOC crashes with multiple LibO release up to 3.3.3 (I don't have 3.3.0)
and the bug is present in AOO 4.0.0 too.

edited summary. changed version and component fields.
added expert devs to CC list

  [Upstream] soffice.bin crashed with SIGABRT

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  1) lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.10

  2) apt-cache policy libreoffice-writer
  libreoffice-writer:
    Installed: 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu3
    Candidate: 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu3
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu3 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  3) What is expected to happen in Writer via a terminal:
  cd ~/Desktop && wget -c
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1064560/+attachment/3390885/+files/11_03pu-reduced.odt
 -O example.odt && lowriter --nologo example.odt

  is when one saves it as doc 97/XP/2003 it does not crash.

  4) What happens instead is it does.

  openjdk-7-jre is already installed on my system and, according to this
  dialog box, LibreOffice is using it. I tried to tell LibreOffice not
  to use a JRE, but it still crashes.

  WORKAROUND: Save as RTF first, which will fail. Then immediately save
  to .doc 97/XP/2003.

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
  Package: libreoffice-core 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-17.16-lowlatency 3.5.5
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-17-lowlatency i686
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386