There has been some time since the initial report of this bug. If you
can still can see this problem in currently supported versions of
Ubuntu, please choose "Confirmed" again to substitute "Incomplete" at
the "Status" option.

** Changed in: totem (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  When trying to play a WAV file, totem ask to install already installed
  multimedia plugins

Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu:

  I tried to play a wav file from a CD, totem said that a plugin was missing
and launched gstreamer-codec-install.
  gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly was listed and selected.

  I clicked on install, proceeded with confirmation and authentication
  and after some time a small untitled dialog popped up saying that
  'Package is already installed / There isn't any need for an
  installation'

  The 'Details' part of this dialog is 1 pixel height.

  After closing this dialog totem is still unable to play a a wav file.

  This very file can be played successfully with rhythmbox.

  Package: totem 3.0.1-0ubuntu3
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-8-generic i686
  Architecture: i386