For me it seems like it's a lot more likely to happen when switching
from a user with Terminal open. Particularly if I'm using sudo.

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  user switching from screen lock freezes system

Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:

  There are tow or more users logged in system but last has locked the screen.
  Move mouse. Authentication dialogue appears.
  Click Switch User.
  Lightdm login screen appears.
  Select user (allready logged in but with locked session) and type password
and enter.
  Screen goes black (or somtimes a gray bar appears at bottom of screen). Fan
gets noisy so some process probably went crazy.  Only way out is reset button.
  I can however switch user by ctr-alt Fn (if I know which tty my session is)

  Package: lightdm 1.0.1-0ubuntu6
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-12.20-generic-pae 3.0.4
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sat Nov  5 17:08:00 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release i386 (20111012)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=fi_FI.utf8