As of today all publicly known workarounds (changes in policy file) for this
*BUG* stopped working for me on Ubuntu 13.10.
So no hibernation in UI any more.  Manual entries in /etc/acpi/* (event and
script calling pm-hibernate) do work.

Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-desktop-privileges in Ubuntu.

  Disable hibernate option by default

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Released
Status in Pantheon Session Indicator:
  Invalid
Status in PolicyKit:
  Invalid
Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” source package in Precise:

  TO RE-ENABLE HIBERNATE: If the hibernate option is supported by your system
and you need it, you can re-enable it as follows:
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/power-hibernate.html

  You may be also interested in subscribing to the bug #882040, which tracks
the implementation of a configuration tool to toggle hibernate and suspend.

  I'd like to propose a change in the design of Power preferences in the
  GNOME control center: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Power

  Instead of going through the "certification" path, we can simply
  disable the options about suspend/hibernate if it's not supported on
  the current hardware (we have API for this in upower).

  I think this solution is more scalable, as we do not need to maintain
  a database with "certified" hardware. Also, we can add a button or a
  informative text when suspend/hibernate doesn't work to guide the
  users about what to do.