Public bug reported:

Totem simply does not operate on 12.04 (fully updated) using Gnome 3.4.2
desktop with nVidia 304.88 and dual monitors on a GT-9600 card.

 a) If run normally to play a video the screen flashes, the second
monitor is DISABLED, and the desktop locks-up.

 b) If run automatically in a Firefox when a page is hit the desktop
locks-up.

The only solution when this happens us to hard-reset the computer and
suffer the long disk checks on reboot.

It used to work - but has behaved like this for months.  I'm tired of
the accidental crashes while in Firefox when I happen to hit a page with
Totem-mapped media and have uninstalled it.

** Affects: totem (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  Totem crashes Gnome desktop

Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu: