I'm on Ubuntu 12.04, and each of the Steam for Linux games I've played
that support gamepads don't seem to inhibit the screensaver themselves.
I don't know if it's realistic to expect them to all patch to deal with
this themselves, and I'm not sure the responsibility should be on them.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Joystick activity does not stop the screensaver

Status in GNOME Screensaver:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-screensaver” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  While playing games entirely with the joystick the screensaver is
  activated every few minutes.

  Input activity from a joystick should have the same results as
  activity from the mouse or keyboard.