We landed support in lightdm for a special surfaceflinger session.  This
should be fixed now.

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lighdm does not get along with switchable Mir and surfaceflinger
  sessions

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  we tried to use lp:~mterry/session-manager-touch/lightdm-switch on the ubuntu
touch images.
  this code was written prior to adding Mir as a switchable (test) option to
the otherwise surfaceflinger based images.

  now that Mir is shipped alongside, lightdm always prefers Mir for the
  user session and we lose the ability to use surfaceflinger (which is
  supposed to still be the default) completely.

  i am not sure how hard it is to update the patch to support that
  usecase. in case it is not, we need to wait for Mir to become the
  default on the touch images before merging.